Sunday, January 13, 2008

Missing Frances

the previous weeks we have a visitor.. though I know her since we have been together for at least a month when I first arrived here in the US. She is a chinese lady , a nurse too who ventured her luck here in the US.. She is an ER nurse a seasoned One I say.... She was assigend in a big Hospital in Inglewood, LA but for the reason that " she cant communicate well in english" she was refused to be accepted..... So she came here in our place in costa mesa for her to be a volunter in our hospital... Volunter because she is not being paid.. all she has to do is to practice her english for about 3 weeks.... I mean I came to think that "volunter" as in without pay is also practiced here in the states... well i guess its an isolated case... our agency's practice only..... Or if she will not do it she will face deportation.What an insolent threat! anyways at first my household berks were a little bit apprehensive if we are to accept her or not... she will be an added expenditure to our strained budget.... yet we accepted her anyways with an open heart,.During the 3 weeks stay I realized how strong this lady is.... Strong in the sense that she have the faith! even if the circumstances were against her so to speak.... She work 12 hours a day for 5 days without pay and slept less than 5 hours for she stayed in our living room.... not a very private place to rest....I spend time talking and correcting her english... she manage to learn from it all. Finally she was interviewed in Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital... A huge hospital with 3 complex building.. She was finally accepted. when she left us , i cried for she has been like a sister to me.Forgive my teary eyes.Thats because I developed a bond with her .I corrected her and She in turn gave her advise without a thought whether I like it or not, though in a gentle way in matters were she has more experience... MAtters about life.... sure i miss her but I am happy and hopeful that she will have a great start in that hospital... I might even follow her there for my partime job, who knows?.. I m proud also of my housemates for they have showed total concern and hospitality to our guest. She is Chinese. She did not pay us for her rent, utilities and we even treated her when we dine out..... Even if were here in the US im happy that we are filipinos not by words but by our deeds.......Good luck frances

No comments: